NOTE: If you do not have access to the journal where our papers are published, please email
wilkinso [at] iastate [dot] edu and we would be happy to provide you with a free PDF of the paper.
- Moody, E, E Albright, K Cope, R Fleck, H Grigel, D Ortiz, GM Wilkinson (2019) Taxonomic and geographic gaps in understanding the functional effects of imperilled fishes on freshwater ecosystems. Fish and Fisheries 20: 795-801. [link to paper]
- Moody, E & GM Wilkinson (2019) Functional shifts in lake zooplankton communities with hypereutrophication. Freshwater Biology 64: 608-616. [link to paper]
- Pace, ML, SR Carpenter, GM Wilkinson (2019) Long‐term studies and reproducibility: Lessons from whole‐lake experiments. Limnology and Oceanography 64: S22-S33 [link to paper]
- Wilkinson, GM, A Bestermen, CD Buelo, JA Gephart, ML Pace (2018) A synthesis of modern organic carbon accumulation rates in coastal and aquatic inland ecosystems. Scientific Reports 8: 15736. [link to paper]
- Wilkinson, GM, SR Carpenter, JJ Cole, ML Pace, RD Batt, CD Buelo, J Kurtzweil (2018) Early warning signals precede cyanobacterial blooms in multiple whole-lake experiments. Ecological Monographs 88: 188-203 [link to paper]
- Oreska, MPJ, GM Wilkinson, KJ McGlathery, M Bost, BA McKee (2017) Non-seagrass carbon contributes to seagrass sediment blue carbon. Limnology and Oceanography 63: S3-S18 [link to paper]
- Tanentzap, AJ, BW Kielstra, GM Wilkinson, M Berggren, N Craig, PA del Giorgio, J Grey, JM Gunn, SE Jones, J Karlsson, CT Solomon, ML Pace (2017) Terrestrial support of lake food webs: synthesis reveals controls over cross-ecosystem resource use. Science Advances 3, e1601765. [link to paper]
- Wilkinson, GM (2017) Eutrophication of Freshwater and Coastal Ecosystems. In the Encyclopedia of Sustainable Technologies, Springer. [link to encyclopedia chapter]
- Pace, ML, RD Batt, CD Buelo, SR Carpenter, JJ Cole, J Kurtzweil, GM Wilkinson (2017) Reversal of a Cyanobacterial Bloom in Response to Early Warnings. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 114: 352-357 [link to paper]
- Wilkinson, GM, C Buelo, JJ Cole, ML Pace (2016) Exogenously produced CO2 more than doubles the flux of greenhouse gases from three north temperate lakes. Geophysical Research Letters 43: 1996-2003 [link to paper]
- Emery, KA, JA Gephart, GM Wilkinson, AF Besterman, ML Pace (2016) Modeling drivers of trophic cascades and food-web alterations in a lake ecosystems. Learner-Centered Teaching Activities for Environmental and Sustainability Studies.
- Greiner, JT, KE Emery, GM Wilkinson, KJ McGlathery (2016) Sources of sediment carbon sequestered in restored seagrass meadows. Marine Ecology Progress Series 551: 95-105 [link to paper]
- Carpenter, SR, JJ Cole, ML Pace, GM Wilkinson (2016) Response of plankton to nutrients, planktivory, and terrestrial organic matter: A model analysis of whole-lake experiments. Ecology Letters 19: 230-239 [link to paper]
- Wilkinson, GM, JJ Cole, ML Pace, RA Johnson, M Kleinhans (2015) The contribution of biological and physical processes to the formation and persistence of oxygen maxima in lakes. Limnology and Oceanography 60: 242-251.
- Wilkinson, GM, JJ Cole, ML Pace (2015) The sensitivity of deuterium based allochthony estimates to the dietary water correction and lipid content. Limnology and Oceanography: Methods 13(5): 213-223.
- Emery, KA, GM Wilkinson, FG Ballard, ML Pace (2015) Use of allochthonous resources by zooplankton in reservoirs. Hydrobiologia 758: 257-269.
- Emery, KA, GM Wilkinson, VF Camacho-Ibar, ML Pace, KJ McGlathery, JM Sandoval-Gil, J Hernádez-López (2015) Resource use of a cultured oyster (Crassostrea gigas) in the reverse estuary Bahía San Quintín, Baja California, Mexico. Estuaries and Coasts, doi: 10.1007/s12237-015-0021-9.
- Batt, RD, SR Carpenter, JJ Cole, ML Pace, RA Johnson, JK Kurtzweil, GM Wilkinson (2015) Altered energy flow in the food web of an experimentally darkened lake. Ecosphere 6: Article 33.
- Wilkinson, GM, SR Carpenter, JJ Cole, ML Pace (2014) Metalimnetic 13C addition reveals minor support of metalimneitc resources to pelagic consumers. Limnology and Oceanography 59: 986-996.
- Yang, C, GM Wilkinson, JJ Cole, SA Macko, ML Pace (2014) Determining the isotopic values of resource end members in freshwater food web studies. Inland Waters 4: 233-242.
- Wilkinson, GM, ML Pace, JJ Cole (2013) Terrestrial dominance of organic matter in north temperate lakes. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 27: 43-51.
- Wilkinson, GM, SR Carpenter, JJ Cole, ML Pace, C Yang (2013) Terrestrial support of pelagic consumers among lakes: Patterns and variability revealed from a multi-lake study. Freshwater Biology 58: 2037-2049.
Broader Impacts Publications
- Wilkinson, GM and JJ Cole (2017) “How many limnologists does it take to fix the plumbing?” Bulletin of the Ecological Society of America. [link to essay]
- Wilkinson, GM (2015) “The President's Speech” ESA Centennial Writing Contest, Runner Up. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 13 (5): 283 [link to essay]
- Wilkinson, GM (2015) “The benefits of student membership in ASLO.” Bulletin of the Association for the Sciences of Limnology and Oceanography 24: 92-93, doi:10.1002/lob.10057